- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir until the onion is soft and browned, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the plain flour and mix until the onion and flour are combined. Continue mixing for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and white wine and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake in the oven for about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve the soup in deep plates and put a few cheese croutons on top. You can also sprinkle additional grated cheese over the soup for an added flavor experience.
This is a basic recipe for French Onion Soup with Cheese Croutons. You can adjust it according to your taste and preferences, for example by adding other herbs or spices. Enjoy your meal!