Shakshuka - a traditional dish from Israel
baby friendly paleo vegetarian gluten free
- 1 large onion
- 2 peppers
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the chopped onion and peppers until they start to soften.
- Add grated garlic, ground paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander, salt and pepper. Stir and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the peeled and chopped tomatoes and cook for about 5-10 minutes until the tomatoes break down and the sauce forms.
- Add the eggs directly into the sauce, cover with a lid and cook for about 5-10 minutes, until the whites are set and the yolks are runny.
- If you like runny yolks, you can cover the last few minutes with a lid.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley or cilantro when serving.
- You can serve Shakshuka as a separate dish with bread or as a side dish to another dish.